Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Beginning of the most Exciting Adventure of our lives!!

Ok, so I apologize for this taking so long, but somehow this 6 lb. human being takes all of the time and energy from both mommy and daddy 24 hours a day!

We went to the hospital on Wednesday evening, June 24th around 9:00 p.m. I was pretty sure my water had broken around 3:00 p.m. Wednesday afternoon, but for those of you who know me well should not be surprised that I decided that we needed to clean the entire house, take a shower, and pack our stuff before we left. Upon our arrival, they had to run some tests to be sure that my water had actually broken. By the time midnight rolled around and we still had not heard anything, Robert and I had pretty much chalked it up and figured that we would probably be sent home. To our surprise, the nurse came in just a few minutes later and said...."well, do you want to start pitocin now or at 4:00 a.m.?" Robert and I both looked at each other in total shock and surprise. Robert even said to the nurse, "so....this is it, we are having a baby!?!?!" She said "Yep, you will not be leaving this hospital without your baby!" We were sooooo excited!

We opted to wait until 4:00 a.m. to start the pitocin, with the intentions of getting some food and maybe an hour or two of sleep (yeah right!)! I sent Robert to Wendy's to get my last meal and he came back with most of it right. Due to the excitement, he didn't even know what he was ordering, but he did make sure that everyone at Wendy's knew we were having a baby! :)

We ate our food, then tried to do some walking around to get the contractions started, and they definitely started coming. The sleep part never came and we are still waiting on some time to catch up, maybe tomorrow ;)

Around 4:00, they came in and started the pitocin. And by 5:00, I was in some pretty major pain, asking for the epidural. I went through some pretty hard contractions for the next 2 hours, until the epidural came around 7:00. At 7:01, I was back to my normal, sarcastic self. As they were laying me down after the epidural, I said to the nurse (jokingly) "I mean do you think you could hook one more wire to me??" Robert said, "Wow, you are back!" From then on, things were great!

I progressed pretty quickly with the pitocin. At 5:00, I was 5 cm, at 7:00 7cm. So they said we should have a baby here by 11:00 or so. They came in at 10:30, 9.5 cm. They came back at 11:00 and we started the first push at 11:08. Baby was here at 11:43!

I must say, the entire labor and delivery process was actually fun and exciting (mind you, I did have an epidural and I can't speak for those who do it completely naturally). Even pushing was fun. It was extremely exhausting, but an experience that Robert and I will never forget.


This was about 1:00 a.m. We were soooo excited that we didn't know what to do with ourselves.

Daddy was trying to get some sleep.....ha, ha...never happened!

Here she is! Her first picture of her life....so beautiful!


She weighed in at a whopping 6 lbs, 13 oz, 18.5 inches long.


Getting her all checked out. Everything checked out wonderfully!


Daddy and Charley both crying! So sweet!


Our happy family, just a few minutes after delivery.


Mommy and her sweet girl. She has a few marks from birth, but they are fading away little by little each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment